Welcome to the website page exploring the history of Lurgashall Parish
The Archive room at the Village Hall is open to visitors in AUGUST on Wed 17th August, 2.30-5pm and Wed 31st August, 2.30-5pm.
Contact: Sarah Matthews firstname.lastname@example.org
Archive Summer Quiz!
We hope you enjoy these quiz questions from the Archive – answers next month, with background stories and some photos.
- What was the cricket pavilion on the village green before it was a cricket pavilion?
- Which famous historical figure stayed at Blackdown House in the mid-17th century?
- Which famous aviator couple lived at Sarnsfield (then called Belfairs) on Jobsons Lane between the wars?
- Which England cricket captain, whose parents farmed at Roundhurst, was chief Air Raid Warden for Lurgashall during WW2?
- What is the current approximate population of Lurgashall Parish? And what was the population size c.100 years ago?
- There used to be two schools in Lurgashall – one on the village green and one at Roundhurst. When did they close?
- When were the first Greengates estate houses built? And when was the rest of the estate built?
- How many Lurgashall cricket team players have won the Horns at the Ebernoe Horn Fair since 1966? Bonus points if you can name them!
- What business or trade was run at Dial House on Dial Green in the late 1890s and early 1900s?
- Lavant Hill House, Navant Hill Farm… The road up to Hillgrove, is it Lavant Hill…. or Navant Hill?!